New Delhi, July 21 (IANS) The National Human Rights Commission on Thursday issued notice to the Chairperson of Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation over the amputation of both hands of a girl following severe burn injuries sustained when she came in contact with a high voltage electricity line passing over her house.
According to the commission, the victim, a resident of Mirzapur village in Greater Noida, accidentally touched the 11 KV high voltage line while playing with other children on July 7. Later, during treatment at the Safdarjung Hospital in the national capital, her hands had to be amputated.
The commission has noted that in the reported incident, the state administration as well as the Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited cannot escape their responsibility for not ensuring that such a high voltage line should not have passed through the residential areas at a height that even a child could touch it.
“Such inaction by the concerned authorities amounts to violation of Right to Life and Safety of the people. Accordingly the commission has issued a notice to the District Magistrate Gautam Budh Nagar and the Chairman Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited calling for a detailed report in a matter within four weeks. They are also expected to inform about the steps being taken to avoid such incidents in the future,” said a statement from the commission.
The sommission also observed that it has come across many such cases where due to the negligence of the authorities, people were electrocuted.