New Delhi, Feb 20 (IANS) The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has registered a fresh case and begun its probe in the February 14 terror attack on a CRPF convoy in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama in which 40 troopers were killed, an official said on Wednesday.
NIA chief Y.C. Modi also inspected the attack site on the Jammu-Srinagar highway.
“We have re-registered the Pulwama terror attack case,” said an NIA spokesperson. The first case in the attack, claimed by the Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) terror outfit, was registered by the Jammu and Kashmir Police on the day of attack.
The move comes five days after the worst-ever terror attack on security forces since militancy erupted in the state in 1989.
“The NIA chief along with a team of officers including two Inspector Generals, Deputy Inspector General and Superintendent of Police visited the place of occurrence of the February 14 incident.
“The officers of CRPF and local police were also present there. The NIA chief was briefed by the officers about the progress made in the investigation so far,” the spokesperson said.
A day after the terror attack when an explosive-packed SUV rammed a bus carrying the Central Reserve Police Force troopers, the counter-terror agency officials, along with explosive and forensic experts, had collected material evidence from the site.
A team of senior NIA officers has been camping in Srinagar since the attack.