Not final NRC, opposition must not politicise it: Rajnath

Views: 26

New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said the draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) that was published on Monday was not the final list and there was no need to create panic, while urging the opposition not to politicise it.

He also assured that people whose names are not included in the final draft will get the opportunity to prove their citizenship.

“Whatever work is going on in the NRC, is happening under the supervision of the Supreme Court. To say that the government has done it, and it is inhuman and brutal…such allegations are baseless.

“It is not the right thing to say,” Rajnath Singh told the Lok Sabha during Zero Hour.

In a statement released later, Rajnath Singh said he wanted to “emphatically say that this is only a draft and not the final NRC”.

The final draft comprising the names of 2, 89, 83,677 people of Assam was published online by the Registrar General of India.

ALSO READ:   Rajnath visits AIIMS to inquire about Parrikar's health

The Home Minister also said that there is “no question of any coercive action against anyone”, while stressing the NRC process is “being carried out with complete fairness and transparency”.

Urging not to create panic, he also said that if anyone was not satisfied with the final draft of the NRC, that person would get an opportunity to file claims and objections as per provisions in the law and also approach the Foreigners’ Tribunal.

Only after the disposal of claims and objections, will the final NRC be published, he said.

“Some people are unnecessarily trying to create an atmosphere of fear. I want to assure all that there is no need for any apprehension or fear. Some misinformation is also being spread…,” he added.

Around 40 lakh people have been left out of the list. The first list of the NRC process was released in December 31 last year, in which around 1.9 crore people out of the total applications of 3.29 crore people were included.

ALSO READ:   Rahul an incapable opposition leader, says BJP

Appealing to the House, the Minister said: “This is a very sensitive issue. Everyone should lend their support. I want to make it clear…you can express your anger…but let me tell you that the government is not doing anything…everything is being done under the supervision of Supreme Court.”

“If you are saying so…, then I want to urge the House that the opposition should decide what is government’s role.

“Don’t level baseless allegations. Such sensitive issues should not be unnecessarily politicised,” he added.

Trinamool Congress’ Sudip Bandyopadhyay, whose party moved an adjournment motion on the issue, asked where will these 40 lakh people, whose names have not figured in the final draft, go.

“It is inhuman. It is a mental torture. I would request the Central Government and Home Minister to take this issue up very seriously. Justice should not be denied to these people at any cost. Fresh revision should be the top priority. If necessary, amendment must be moved so that these people may get shelter,” said Roy.

ALSO READ:   Bharat Bandh evokes mixed response, opposition rallies against BJP (Roundup)

“Why this step has been taken only in Assam? Why not in other states? Government must assure that these 40 lakh people will not be denied justice,” he added.

Supporting him, leader of Congress in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge said: “I would demand a seperate discussion on the issue and an amendment should be brought on this. This is an issue related to citizenship of 40 lakh people, whose names have been deliberately purposely.”

“They are trying to create a division in the society by doing this,” he added.

–IANS

sid/vd

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *