Dr. David Williams, Ontario;s Chief Medical Officer of Health, has issued the following statement about chocolate milk recalled on June 4:
“Consumers who have purchased recalled milk products should throw the products out or return them to the store where they were purchased. Persons who believe they are ill as a result of consuming these products should contact their doctor. This is especially important for persons who are of high risk for severe illness and complications, including the elderly, people who have underlying medical conditions, compromised immune systems and pregnant women. Our public health partners are further notifying institutions such as long-term care homes, hospitals, retirement homes, schools and daycares.”
Information on the recall warning, including product description, lot codes and best before dates can be found on Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s website.
The province of Ontario, Public Health Ontario and Saputo Inc. have been working collaboratively to ensure the public are informed about an ongoing foodborne investigation associated with Listeria infections and certain recalled products of Neilson brand chocolate milk products, in a variety of packaging sizes.
On June 4, 2016, Saputo Inc. recalled one Neilson brand partly skimmed chocolate milk product from the marketplace due to Listeria monocytogenes contamination. This product bearing facility registration number (1590) had a best before date of June 1, 2016. An expanded recall was issued on June 5, 2016 on a number of Neilson partly skimmed chocolate milk products bearing facility registration number (1590), with best before dates up to and including June 22, 2016. Consumers should not consume the recalled products and either discard the products or return them for a refund.
This chocolate milk product has now been linked to an ongoing Listeria investigation in Ontario associated with human illness.
If you think you became sick from drinking a recalled product, call your doctor.
Lino A. Saputo, Jr., Chief Executive Officer and Vice Chairman of the Board, Saputo Inc., said: “We are taking the situation very seriously. We are sorry for the individuals who became ill. Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our products. We are doing everything within our power to ensure our products meet the high quality standards expected from us.”