Ankara, July 18 (IANS) Turkey’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Sunday that the failed military coup has left at least 290 people killed.
The death toll includes at least 190 civilians and 100 coup plotters, the statement said, adding that more than 1,400 were wounded in the coup attempt that swept the country on Friday night but was foiled by Saturday morning.
More than 6,000 have been detained so far due to their involvement in the failed coup, Xinhua news agency quoted the statement as saying.
The statement said it was the Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen that staged this coup attempt.
“Our government has been constantly exposing the real motives of this terrorist group and its leader, Fethullah Gulen, to all allies and partners. The foiled coup is the latest criminal act revealing the danger posed by Fethullah Gulen Terrorist Organisation,” it said.