New Delhi, Jan 14 (ANI): While some media reports in Pakistan are asserting that the authorities have arrested some suspects of the banned Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) spokesman Khalilullah Qazi has said that he is not aware about the development.
“I am not aware of such arrest,” Qazi said at a media briefing today.
A report in The News International quoted government officials as confirming that ‘all the six attackers who carried out the Pathankot attack had infiltrated into India from Pakistan’.
According to Pakistan Prime Minister’s office, the officials also said around four key persons belonging to JeM had been arrested in Pakistan in connection with the attack, The News International reports.
The daily also claims that the top JeM leadership is believed to be in the custody of law enforcement agencies for the last many years.
Pakistan’s Dawn newspaper said three suspects, including a student of a private university, were picked up by law-enforcement agencies on Wednesday in connection with the Pathankot attack.
Leading Pakistani newspaper The Express Tribune and the Dawn both said that Pathankot attack mastermind Masood Azhar had reportedly been arrested while Police and security agencies refused to confirm the arrests.
Pakistan’s Samaa TV, quoting Reuters, said that an official claimed yesterday that Azhar was detained three days ago along with his brother and brother-in-law and will remain in protective custody for at least 30 days.
An online newspaper, Pakistan Daily, yesterday claimed that Pakistan’s law enforcement agencies had arrested 12 suspects of JeM over links with Pathankot attack and sealed their offices.
It remains to be seen whether Pakistan will deny involvement in the Pathankot attack of elements within the country in keeping with its historical approach, or rise to the occasion and do what it takes to successfully shed the adverse global perception that plagues it, an Express Tribune editorial points out. (ANI)