Madrid, March 23 (IANS) Spain striker Pedro Rodriguez has said he was confident that he and his teammates would not be at risk during this summer’s European Football Championship in France from June 10 to July 10.
Speaking in Madrid just hours after the terrorist attacks in Brussels which claimed at least 34 lives, Pedro on Tuesday sent his support to those affected by the bombs at the airport and in the city’s metro, reports Xinhua.
“We want to share our solidarity with the families of the victims,” said the Chelsea forward, who considered that “it is hard to be calm when we have lived through various similar situations”.
Spain were due to play Belgium three days after the Paris attacks in November last year, with the game being cancelled due to security concerns.
With the European Championship due to be played in France this June, security is bound to be an issue, although Pedro was confident the players would be safe.
“We have to be calm about things, we are going to be well protected and well covered for the European Championships. What we have to think about are the games,” he said.
Spain will play Italy and Romania in their forthcoming friendly games and will be without Sergio Busquets for the games after the Barcelona midfielder reported to the Spain camp with a broken finger in his right hand and the national team medical staff allowed him to return to Barcelona.