Permanent and temporary residents could be deported over cannabis-related charges

Views: 112

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has issued a warning to everybody about the strict legal framework under which Canada has made cannabis legally available to adults and emphasised that those rules would similarly be applied to permanent and temporary residents in Canada.

Canada has also imposed tough new penalties on those who commit cannabis-related crimes, and in December 2018, those who drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, including cannabis.
These penalties will have significant impacts on Canadians and non-Canadians alike. For non-Canadians, including permanent residents, the stakes will be high. Not only could they face a fine, criminal charges or even jail, but they may also lose their status and have to leave the country.

Similarly, for temporary residents, including visitors, international students and foreign workers, they may not be able to enter or stay in the country.

ALSO READ:   Bacteria in Northern Ireland soil could combat superbugs: Study

Permanent residents and their Canadian family and friends need to know how these changes could affect them.

Potential immigration consequences for Canadian permanent residents and temporary residents
• As of October 17, 2018, if a permanent or temporary resident commits a cannabis-related crime, such as illegally producing or selling cannabis, whether in or outside Canada, they could be found inadmissible for serious criminality under Canada’s immigration laws.
• Similarly, when the new impaired driving penalties take effect on December 18, 2018, most impaired driving infractions, including in cases where no one is hurt and the minimum fine is imposed, will be considered serious crimes in Canada. As a result, both permanent and temporary residents could be found inadmissible for serious criminality.

In these situations, permanent residents could lose their status and have to leave the country. Similarly, for those who want to visit, study, or work temporarily in Canada, or who are already here temporarily, they may not be able to stay or enter the country. -CINEWS

ALSO READ:   U-Pass program gets green light at Sheridan College
Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *