Washington DC, Jun 28 (ANI): Here are some steps you can take to protect your brain from the ravages of age.
In a report published by the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT), contributing Editor Linda Milo Ohr writes about eight nutrients that may help protect your aging brain:
1. Cocoa flavanols, which may improve the function of a specific part of the brain called the dentate gyrus, which is associated with age-related memory.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids that improves object recognition memory, spatial and localizatory memory, which can be consciously recalled such as facts and knowledge, and adverse response retention. Foods rich in omega-3s include salmon, flaxseed oil, and chia seeds.
3. Phosphatidylserine and phosphatidic acid that can help benefit memory, mood and cognitive function in the elderly.
4. Walnuts may have a beneficial effect in reducing the risk, delaying the onset or slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Citicoline supplements may help maintain normal cognitive function with aging and protect the brain from free radical damage.
6. Choline may support the brain during aging and help prevent changes in brain chemistry that result in cognitive decline and failure. A major source of choline in the diet is eggs.
7. Magnesium supplements are often recommended for those who experienced serious concussions. Magnesium-rich foods include avocado, soy beans, bananas and dark chocolate.
8. Blueberries can offer neurocognitive benefits such as increased neural signaling in the brain centers.
The study appears in Food Technology. (ANI)