Washington, Aug 20 (IANS) US National Security Advisor John Bolton announced that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will leave for North Korea soon, his fourth visit to Pyongyang since he assumed office.
In an interview with ABC News, Bolton said: “I think Secretary Pompeo will be returning to Pyongyang soon for his fourth visit,” reports Xinhua news agency.
“I think the timing will be announced at an appropriate point by the State Department,” he said, adding that the US sides expects Pompeo to meet Kim Jong-un.
“To move on with the process of denuclearization remains our highest priority,” said Bolton, adding that “it’s important that they (North Korea) demonstrate seriousness” in this regard.
He noted that Pyongyang has one year to follow through from making “the strategic decision to denuclearize”, However, he did not give more details on the timeline.
“We’re counting on North Korea following through on the commitments,” he added.
Bolton said earlier last month that Washington has had a plan to dismantle majority of North Korea’s nuke and ballistic missile programmes and Pompeo will be discussing it with Pyongyang while visiting the country.
Pompeo previously visited North Korea in April, May and July.