New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) A preganant woman and her teenaged niece were badly burnt in a fire at their house on Sunday morning and succumbed to their injuries while her three-year-old daughter is in critical condition, a Delhi Fire Service officer said.
The incident was reported around 4.30 a.m from Krishna Nagar in west Delhi.
“The victims were sleeping at the first floor of the house when the fire broke out due to short circuit. Three fire tenders were rushed to the spot and blazes were doused in two hours,” the fire officer said.
Seven-months pregnant Anjali, 28, and her niece Aditi, 13, succumbed to their injuries at Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital while Anjali’s daughter Takshita is being treated and stated to be critical.
Police said Anjali, her daughter and niece and mother Rajwanti had gone to attend Anjali’s brother-in-law, Rahul on Saturday in a banquet hall at Samaypur Badli area and only returned early in the morning.
“They returned at around 3.30 a.m and slept after having tea at around 4 a.m., while the other relatives and family members stayed at the venue,” said a senior police officer.
Rajwanti, who was sleeping at the ground floor, saw fire broke out and alerted her neighbours who informed the fire department, he said.
Anajali’s husband Sunny helps his father Ramtirath in his artificial jewellery and property business.