Private schools move HC to stop removal of management quota

Views: 27

New Delhi, Jan. 15 (ANI): At least 400 private schools in New Delhi filed a petition in the Delhi High Court here on Friday, demanding the scrapping of a Delhi Government order to abolish management quotas for admissions.

They contended that the state government has no authority to pass such an order.

The Delhi government had earlier scrapped management quotas for admissions to private schools, a move that offers more seats for those seeking general admission.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said it was important to remove the management quota, dubbing it as “the biggest scam” in India’s education system.

“There will be only 25 percent reservation for economically weaker sections; the rest 75 percent will be made available to the general public. We noticed during our inspection that a few schools have made just 25 percent seats available for the general public. We are now opening 50 percent more seats for them,” said Kejriwal.

ALSO READ:   National Clean Air Programme needs transparent action: Greenpeace

“We found 62 unjust criteria, which we have declared null and void. Schools can redraft criteria of admission points and it should be just, transparent and fair. They cannot reserve seats or decide admission criteria according to their whims and fancies,” said Kejriwal.

In December, the Delhi government allowed private schools to decide their own admission criteria and update the same on their websites. (ANI)

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *