Damascus, Aug 2 (IANS) At least 30 civilians were killed and 210 others were wounded in rebel shelling on government-controlled areas in Syria’s Aleppo city, the local media said on Monday.
The rebels have been conducting an intensified shelling by rockets and mortar shells against government-held areas in the western part of Aleppo since Sunday, Xinhua news agency reported.
The shelling came in tandem with a wide-scale offensive by the rebels — mainly the Jaish al-Fateh and the Jabhet Fateh al-Sham, previously known as the Nusra Front — to break a government-imposed siege in the eastern part of Aleppo city.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor group said the Syrian army on Monday recaptured several points the rebels had taken during their offensive on Sunday in Aleppo.
On Sunday, the al-Fateh Army announced in a video message the beginning of a big offensive to break the Syrian army’s recent advance in Aleppo.
Late last week, the Syrian army stormed the Bani Zaid area, a main rebel stronghold in eastern Aleppo.
The progress came a week after the army severed the last rebel supply route connecting rebel-held areas in the northern countryside of Aleppo with rebel-controlled parts in the eastern part of the city.
With the progress made, the Syrian army has fully besieged eastern Aleppo, urging the rebels to surrender themselves and the civilians to cooperate.
Moreover, Syria President Bashar al-Assad announced an amnesty for the rebels who surrender with their weapons to the authorities.
The Syrian authorities in cooperation with the Russians also opened three safe passages for civilians to leave eastern Aleppo. They also opened a fourth one for the rebels who would want to surrender.
On Saturday, the local media said dozens of families evacuated eastern districts in Aleppo, amid reports that the rebels prevented many civilians from leaving.