Reply to Youth Congress leader’s plea on security withdrawal: SC to J&K

Views: 47

New Delhi, May 22 (IANS) The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to respond to a plea filed by Youth Congress leader Abid Imitaz Bhat seeking initiation of contempt proceedings against the authorities for withdrawing his security cover without any notice.

A bench of Justice A.M. Khanwilkar and Navin Sinha asked the government to file an affidavit on the claims of Bhat and posted the matter for Friday.

Bhat said pursuant to the top court’s order, four security guards were provided to him by the state but later the authorities recalled almost all of them.

The secretary of the All India Youth Congress said in practical sense, he is left with no security as the security guard is also not willing to travel with him outside Srinagar. Bhat said he was injured in a blast earlier in the locality that has his house and office.

ALSO READ:   Nakamura sole leader after day 1 of Tata Steel blitz chess meet

Srinagar’s Senior Superintendent of Police withdrew the security cover when he was in Delhi, the youth leader said.

Advocate Shoeb Alam, appearing for the Jammu and Kashmir government, however, told the bench that Bhat was currently in Delhi and security was being provided when he was within the territorial jurisdiction of the state.

In March, the Jammu and Kashmir government informed the apex court that it has provided X category security cover to Bhat, after he complained of threat to his life.

The court directed the authorities to continue providing security cover unless there was a change in threat perception. In a different petition filed by the leader earlier, the court said he should be given due notice before his security cover is withdrawn.

ALSO READ:   Karnataka's tax collection up 11% in 6 months

–IANS

gt/him/vm

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *