Rio de Janeiro, May 21 (IANS) Rio de Janeiro’s Olympic velodrome will not be ready until the end of June, just over a month before the Games begin, Brazil’s sports minister has said.
Construction work at the venue had been due to be completed at the end of April, reports Xinhua.
But delays to the installation of track support structures forced organizers to cancel a planned Olympic test event from April 30 to May 1.
Brazil’s sports minister, Leonardo Picciani, told reporters the venue on Friday was now 88% complete.
“Most of it is ready and work will be completed in June,” he said. “The track has been installed but some adjustments need to be made.”
Pedro Paulo, a spokesman for the mayor’s office, said the delay was caused by financial problems suffered by the construction firm responsible for the project.
He said the city government was forced to intervene to ensure the velodrome’s completion by next month.