Singapore, Oct 10 (IANS) Oscar-winning director Ron Howard, who has been associated with showbiz from his childhood, says he has no plans to make an acting comeback.
Several media reports had earlier quoted Howard as saying “I do move from film to film, I’ve never had the time to commit, but one of these days, I am going to make the time”.
But he shrugs it off by saying that his joke was taken too seriously.
When asked about his plans to face the camera again, Howard told IANS: “Oh I am not”.
“I was kind of joking when I said that. It would be fun if I had a short window to do a supporting role in something, but I am so busy with Imagine Entertainment (his production company with Brian Grazer) and busy directing and producing movies and television shows, that I really don’t have time to go work on somebody else’s project,” Howard told IANS here.
Howard has earned applause for his acting as well as directing skills. He was noticed as a child artiste in “The Andy Griffith Show”, and then went on to do “Happy Days”, “The Music Man”, “The Courtship of Eddie’s Father”, “The Shootist” and “Grand Theft Auto”.
He also carved a niche for himself in Hollywood as a director with films like “Cocoon”, “Apollo 13”, “A Beautiful Mind”, “The Da Vinci Code” and “Angels & Demons”.
Howard, who is busy with the promotional activities of his forthcoming film “Inferno”, says the experience of acting helps you pave the path as a director.
“I think acting is a great building block for directors,” said the 62-year-old told IANS at a press event organised by Sony Pictures Entertainment here.
“Inferno” stars Tom Hanks, Felicity Jones and Irrfan Khan. The film will release in India on October 14 — two weeks before it opens in the US.