Seoul, Oct 11 (IANS) After temporarily suspending the production of Galaxy Note 7 smartphone amid battery explosion fears, Samsung on Tuesday advised Note 7 owners to stop using the device — both original and the replaced one.
“Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note 7 or a replacement Galaxy Note 7 device should power down and stop using the device, and take advantage of the remedies available,” Samsung said in a statement.
“We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note 7,” it added.
After incidents of Note 7 device catching fire in various flights, a replacement Note 7 device also reportedly caught fire on a US flight, leading to cancellation of the flight after evacuation.
Samsung has recalled nearly 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 smartphones over battery overheating issues globally.
“Because consumers’ safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note 7 while the investigation is taking place,” the company said in the fresh statement on Tuesday.
“We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation,” it added.
Earlier, Yonhap news agency reported that Samsung has temporarily suspended the production of the Galaxy Note 7 smartphone.
“This measure includes a Samsung plant in Vietnam that is responsible for global shipments (of the Galaxy Note 7),” it said, quoting a company official.
Despite the global recall of its flagship device, Samsung Electronics last week released a positive forecast for the third quarter of this year, expecting operating profits of 7.8 trillion Korean won (approx $7 billion) and revenues of 49 trillion Korean won.
The operating profits are a 5.6 per cent increase on the same period a year ago when the company registered 7.4 trillion won in operating profits, Samsung Electronics said in its earnings guidance for the third quarter.