Seven soldiers killed in Yemen clashes

Aden, June 5 (IANS) At least seven soldiers were killed as clashes flared up between government forces and Shia Houthi group in Yemen’s city of Taiz on Sunday, an official said.

Up to 18 soldiers have been wounded so far in the ongoing fight in Wazieyah district, Xinhua news agency quoted the military official as saying.

The government forces on Saturday advanced against the Shia Houthi fighters and their allied forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.

The Saudi-backed forces recaptured six areas and approached the district centre, which was still under the rebels’ control, the official said.

There was no immediate report of Houthi and Saleh casualties.

The joint Houthi-Saleh forces have ruled much of Taiz since they extended to the city under complete siege in September 2014.

Both warring sides were in almost shaky cease-fire since April 10 to facilitate ongoing peace talks in Kuwait backed by the United Nations to end more than a year of civil war.



Related Posts

Leave a Reply