The province’s Special Investigations Unit is now investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 25-year-old man inside a Holiday Inn Express in Guelph.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 2:00 a.m. on Tuesday morning, an employee at the hotel called the Guelph Police Service about noise inside a room. The hotel is located on Silvercreek Parkway North.
- The Tactical Unit was deployed.
- Close to 4:00 a.m., officers entered a room.
- The body of a 25-year-old man was discovered inside the room.
Four investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this incident. The SIU is urging anyone with information related to this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General. – CINEWS