Chandigarh, Dec 28 (IANS) Unauthorised digging work in Chandigarh claimed six lives on Monday when a liquor vend and tavern building collapsed in Sector 26. The local administration later ordered an inquiry into the incident.
At least 11 other people, all labourers working at the construction site, were admitted to government hospitals.
Chandigarh Senior Superintendent of Police Sukhchain Singh Gill told the media that six people were killed when they got trapped under the collapsed building.
Some other people were also feared trapped under the debris.
The roof of the liquor vend building, located in the city’s Transport Area, collapsed and people inside were trapped, police said.
The building, according to police, collapsed due to illegal construction activity in an adjoining plot. Earth was being dug in the plot to build a basement.
Gill said a case would be registered against the owners of the plot where the illegal construction activity was taking place.
“Inquiry will be soon conducted on two facts, the sub divisional magistrate (East) would look in the facts and details if the basement construction was authentic or not, and the labour department would provide a detailed report of the labourers on the same,” district magistrate Ajit Balaji Joshi said on Monday evening.
The administration also announced compensation of up to Rs.2 lakh to the families of the deceased.
No arrests have been made so far.