Esurance, a part of Allstate, caused a bit of a scene in Chicago on September 1. The home and auto insurer staged a fender bender to encourage safe driving, an important message to address the recent series of car accidents caused by people playing mobile games while driving.
The scene on Chicago’s popular Magnificent Mile featured a car’s run-in with a hot dog cart, all caused by a fictional distracted driver and Esurance mobile game-inspired creature that causes fender benders, the Fenderbendix. As visitors walked past the jarring scene, they discovered that nobody was hurt. And they learned an important message about safe driving, smart people #DontCatchAndDrive.
“We’re always looking for unexpected, relatable ways to connect with people. Staging this scene allowed us to capture people’s attention and send an important message about safe driving,” said Alan Gellman, chief marketing officer at Esurance. “We understand the appeal of exciting modern technology like augmented reality gaming, but we want people to be smart about how they use it.”
Signage around the scene in Pioneer Court, an iconic Michigan Avenue location near the Tribune and Wrigley buildings, encouraged people to share their experience using #DontCatchAndDrive. A Snapchat geo-filter was also created to draw even more attention to the safe driving message.
Avoiding mobile gaming isn’t the only way to practice smart driving. Esurance has a few tips for drivers looking to stay safe behind the wheel, including:
- Turn on “Do Not Disturb” – Many smartphones have the capability to shut down text messages and notifications. Before putting your car into drive, flip on “Do Not Disturb” mode.
- Avoid Eye Contact with Passengers – Mom and Dad always said to make eye contact when having a conversation. But your passengers will forgive you for keeping your eye on the road.
- Take a Deep Breath – You have a lot on your mind. Hit pause, take a breath and focus on what’s in front of you. Mental distractions can be just as dangerous as the physical ones.
- Sip at the Stop – Wait until a stop light to take a sip of your hot coffee. An accidental spill could be the beginning of a much bigger, and avoidable, driving incident.
- Don’t Catch and Drive – We’d be remiss not to mention that you shouldn’t play mobile games while driving.
The crash is part of a broader effort by Esurance including a digital campaign you can find at www.esurance.com/dont-catch-and-drive.
Esurance, insurance for the modern world®, provides auto, homeowners, motorcycle, and renters insurance direct to consumers online and over the phone. With an easy-to-use mobile app, helpful online tools like photo claims and Coverage Counselor®, and knowledgeable experts available around the clock, Esurance is the smart choice for today’s web-savvy consumer. And as a member of the Allstate family with an A+ rating from A.M. Best