Madrid, May 3 (IANS) Barcelona’s Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez remains ahead in the race for the Golden Shoe as the top European scorer with 35 goals and 70 points, two weeks before the end of the football season.
However, Argentine Gonzalo Higuain of Napoli has narrowed the distance with the double he achieved on Monday against Atalanta, making 32 goals and 64 points and putting him in second place, reports Efe.
The third place is occupied by Real Madrid’s Portuguese superstar Cristiano Ronaldo, who despite his absence in the last La Liga match still has a total of 31 goals this season.
Sharing with him the same position is the top scorer of the Portugal’s Primeira Liga, Jonas Goncalves, giving them both 62 points.
The top scorers in European leagues:
1. Luis Suarez (URUGUAY, Barcelona) 35 goals, 70 points
2. Gonzalo Higuain (ARGENTINA, Napoli) 32, 64
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (PORTUGAL, Real Madrid) 31, 62
+. Jonas Goncalves (BRAZIL, Benfica) 31, 62
5. Robert Lewandowski (POLAND, Bayern Munich) 27, 54
6. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (SWEDEN, Paris Saint-Germain) 35, 52.5
7. Islam Slimani (ALGERIA, Sporting Lisbon) 26, 52
8. Lionel Messi (ARGENTINA, Barcelona) 25, 50
9. Harry Kane (ENGLAND, Tottenham Hotspur) 25, 50
10. Karim Benzema (FRANCE, Real Madrid) 23, 46.