Sydney shooting accused refused bail

Sydney, Oct 16 (IANS) An Australian court on Friday refused bail to two suspects charged in connection with the terror-linked shooting of a police worker in Sydney, the media reported.

Raban Alou, 18, and Talal Alameddine, 22, are facing charges in relation to the shooting of police accountant Curtis Cheng outside the New South Wales Police headquarters on October 2, ABC reported.

Alou was charged with aiding, abetting, procuring and counselling a terrorist act after spending eight days in custody. Police have accused Alameddine of supplying the weapon used by Cheng’s killer, 15-year-old Farhad Jabar. Jabar was later killed by police officials.

Alou’s lawyer, Moustafa Kheir, told the court that his client would be fighting the charges.

He said his client had been held for more than 200 hours “for the purpose of interrogation” and that the charges against him relied on circumstantial evidence.

The case has been adjourned until December 10.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply