Syria ceasefire continues despite breaches

Views: 35

Damascus, July 10 (IANS) A ceasefire brokered by the US and Russia continued in southwestern Syria on Monday despite several breaches, a war monitoring group said.

The deal, which went into effect on Sunday afternoon, covers the provinces of Daraa, Sweida and Quneitra, reports Efe news.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) recorded missile fire on three occasions in Daraa’s Tariq al-Sad district and an exchange of gunfire between government forces and rebel fighters in the district of Daraa al-Balad earlier on Monday but no casualties were reported.

The British-based watchdog said incidents of rocket firing took place in the towns of Saida and al-Naima, both located east of Daraa.

US President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin reached the ceasefire agreement during the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany, on Friday.

ALSO READ:   Ex-Aussie spy chief to lead inquiry into war crimes allegations

–IANS

ksk/dg

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *