New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) Moisture levels hit a high during the monsoon season and while studded gold jewellery is more prone to scratches and dirt, it doesnt hurt to keep your prized possessions moisture-free as well. Keeping separate holders to putting silica packets are some of the ways of keeping these items safe during such weather.
Here are some simple tips by Swapnil Eaga, co-founder of Zinarya.com, and Rahul Aggarwal, Director of SRS Jewells, to keep your jewelry safe and glittering during this monsoon season.
* Prefer a jewellery box with soft interior and hard exterior: It is good if you have a sturdy jewellery box that provides adequate protection to your prized possessions. The sturdy exterior should be able to protect against the outer pressure and a soft interior saves the articles from being scratched and preserves the original lustre.
Make sure that the jewellery box contains different sections for keeping a variety of jewellery.
* Keep separate jewellery holders for each jewellery type: Avoid common storage of silver, gold, diamond, and pearl in the same container. There are chances of getting scratched if they rub against each other. Silver jewellery can also get tarnished like other gold and copper.
Keeping them in one place can also increase the chances of entanglement. You can use different zip-lock bags as you can fold and place them amid your clothing items inside the closet to keep rings and necklaces from breaking.
* Put Silica packets in the jewellery box: Considering the amount you spend on jewellery, it makes sense to take extra care to protect it. A good option is to keep Silica in your jewellery boxes to absorb the excess moisture. Another solution is to keep your jewellery in air-tight plastic bags or boxes. This gives the metal alloys in your jewellery less oxygen to react to.
* Avoid wearing metallic jewellery: Avoid wearing delicate jewellery as much as possible in the rain as this can cause some metals to tarnish. If unavoidable, make sure you dry them thoroughly before you put them back in the box. Metals like gold and platinum don’t require a lot of care, but silver jewellery can easily get affected.
Silver has a tendency of turning black and during monsoon it is more prone to corrosion; so it needs attention.
* Clean it with warm water: Take extra care of your jewellery while cleaning. During Monsoon season, jewellery items are more prone to turn darker in colour. So, to avoid that, wash your jewellery in warm water and dry it with clean cotton.