Tewari’s statement on troop movement ‘bold’, says Shekhar Gupta

New Delhi, Jan. 10 (ANI): Hailing former information and broadcasting minister Manish Tewari’s backing to the story on troop movement, former editor-in-chief of Indian Express Shekhar Gupta on Saturday said it was ‘better late than never’, adding that the Congress leader has made a bold statement.

“It has once again opened a debate on the troop movement in 2012, which I think is a welcome thing. As far as we are concerned, we know the when and what of the story, but we don’t know why and how of the story,” said Gupta.

“We don’t know the motive, but the fact is such distrust did come up,” he added.

Tewari had yesterday brushed aside allegations that the news item published on April 4, 2012, was fake.

“At that time, I used to serve in the Standing Committee of Defence. And it’s unfortunate, but the story was true. The story was correct,” he said.

“I am not getting into an argument. All I am saying is that to the best of my knowledge that story was correct,” said Tewari during a book launch function here.

The Indian Express had earlier claimed the report is a meticulous reconstruction and a very sober interpretation of the movement of two key Army units towards New Delhi on the night of January 16-17. (ANI)

Related Posts

Leave a Reply