Johannesburg, April 15 (IANS) Thousands of South Africans marched to the Constitutional Court here on Friday to press their demand for President Jacob Zuma’s resignation.
The march was organised by the opposition Democratic Alliance after the court ruled on March 31 that Zuma failed to uphold the constitution when he did not comply with Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s remedial action regarding payments for the non-security upgrades at his private homestead in Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal Province, reported Xinhua.
The opposition claims that Zuma “doesn’t care about the constitution and the country’s citizens”.
“We the DA are here to say, Jacob Zuma, your days are numbered,” said alliance leader Mmusi Maimane, pointing to an imaginary watch on his wrist.
Dressed in blue, the symbolic colour of the alliance, the marchers made their way from Pieter Roos Park to the court, chanting “Voetsek Zuma”.
Maimane said people could not talk about freedom in the country without the constitution.
He said the public protector was not “fighting” Zuma alone, but the whole African National Congress (ANC) as well.
“Today we march to the Constitutional Court – the highest court in our land and the bastion of our constitutional democracy – to make one thing clear: the fight for change in South Africa is far from over! Rather, it has only just begun!” said Maimane.
Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille also took part in the march. She told the crowd that the party was marching to defend South Africa’s constitution.
“In our Constitution we are all equal before the law, and Jacob Zuma is not above the law,” she said.
Earlier this month, anti-apartheid stalwarts like Ahmed Kathrada, George Bizos and Trevor Manuel added their voices to the call for Zuma to resign.
But the ANC stands firmly behind Zuma as the party is gearing up for the local government elections, scheduled for August 3.
ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe, brushing aside the anti-Zuma campaign, told Xinhua that his party is fully occupied with preparations for the elections.
“I can’t comment on their march, as ANC we’re busy with preparation for the local government elections,” he said.