Three accused of Jama Masjid firing case move bail

New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) Three men, who are facing trial in the 2010 Jama Masjid firing case, on Friday moved the bail application before a court here.

The three accused — Syed Ismail Afaaque alias Afaaque, Abdus Saboor alias Abdul and Riyaz Ahmed Sayeedi — moved their bail applications before a special court which fixed May 30 for further hearing.

In the bail plea, defence counsel M.S. Khan stated that the accused are permanent residents of Bhatkal in Karnataka and since they have roots in the society “there is no chance of their absconding or tampering with the prosecution witnesses”.

The three accused have claimed innocence and said the charge sheet in the case has been filed and as such they are not required for the purpose of investigation.

On September 19, 2010, two suspected Indian Mujahideen operatives had opened fire at a bus from which foreign tourists were alighting near the mosque, leaving two Taiwanese tourists injured. There was a mild explosion as well from a bomb which was attached to a car left in that area, police said.

Police registered a case against IM operatives, including module co-founder Yasin Bhatkal, its chief Riyaz Bhatkal and Iqbal Bhatkal charging them with attempt to murder, voluntarily causing hurt and criminal conspiracy under the Indian Penal Code as well as some sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Arms Act.

So far the police have arrested 25 accused in the case and filed three separate charge sheets.

However, Riyaz Bhatkal and Iqbal Bhatkal are as yet untraced and on the run.



Related Posts

Leave a Reply