Before setting out your yard waste, it may be a good idea to visit ‘WhenDoesItGo’ to be sure you have the right yard waste collection day for your neighbourhood.
Peel region yard waste collection has begun and here are few reminders and suggestions to make your life easier.
There are size, material and weight limitations for bags or containers used for yard waste.
All bins/containers used for yard waste must be clearly labelled “Yard Waste.”
You can label your container with a yard waste sticker or “Yard Waste” clearly written in paint or permanent marker.
The Region provides yard waste stickers free of charge. You can pick up stickers from Service Peel, a Peel Community Recycling Centre (CRC), or call 905-791-9499 to order. (Residents in Caledon or long-distance areas can call toll-free at 905-584-2216.)
A bin/container used for yard waste collection must also:
• Be rigid and reusable.
• Have rigid handles that are attached or moulded to the exterior of the bin/container.
• Be wider or larger at the top than the bottom.
• Be smaller than 60 cm (24 in) wide/95 cm (38 in) high.
• Weigh less than 20 kg (44 lbs) when full.
You can also put your yard waste out for collection in an old garbage can/container or blue/grey box. All containers — including an old blue box/grey box — must be in good condition and labelled “Yard Waste.”
Bags filled with yard waste are collected along with the item(s) inside. Emptied yard waste bags are not put back on the curb.
A bag used for yard waste collection must:
• Be specifically designed for yard waste – a Kraft brown paper bag that’s durable enough to support a weight of 20 kg (44 lbs) when lifted, without tearing.
• Have enough room at the top to be securely closed when filled.
• Be smaller than 66 cm (26 in) wide/90 cm (35 in) high.
• Bags or bins filled with yard waste cannot weigh more than 20 kg (44 lbs) each.
• The limbs and branches are too long or too wide. Single limbs and branches must be shorter than 1.2 m (4 ft) and less than 10 cm (4 in) wide. Take larger branches to a Peel Community Recycling Centre (CRC) or consider hiring a professional to safely cut and/or dispose of the branches.
• Loose brush must be tied with string or twine into bundles to be collected at the curb. Bundles must be shorter than 1.2 m (4 ft) and narrower than 76 cm (30 in) in diameter.
It might be collected before or after your garbage and recyclables. – CINEWS