By Davinder Marjara
Cutting calories may seem like a tough task, especially when you’re trying to reduce hundreds of calories each day to lose the recommended 1-2 pounds per week. Will you go hungry? Will your meals taste like cardboard? Will you have to give up your favorite foods?
Don’t worry. When you make small changes, the only difference you’ll notice is a drop in the scale! Keep in mind that cutting calories can involve smart substitutions or changes in portion sizes, too. Just remember, start small and work your way up to a new—and healthier—way of eating.
• Split a 20 oz. bottle of regular soda with a friend. Save 120 calories!
• Drink 1 cup of diet soda instead of 1 cup of regular soda. Save 97 calories!
• N.B. It is recommended to totally eliminate the coke. But if you cannot, you should follow the above.
• Swap a 12-oz. glass of whole milk for skim milk. Save 96 calories!
• Drink two 12-oz. light beers this weekend instead of two regular beers. Save 100 calories!
• Instead of 1 cup of prepared lemonade, try 1 cup of a sugar free variety. Save 103 calories!
• Eat a medium orange instead of drinking 12 oz. of fresh orange juice. Save 106 calories!
• Prepare your coffee with 4 oz. of fat-free half and half instead of regular half and half. Save 88 calories!
• Enjoy 5 oz. of chocolate milk instead of 5 oz. of a chocolate milkshake Save 110 calories!
• Spread your whole grain waffles with 2 tablespoons of maple syrup instead of 1 tablespoon of margarine or butter. Save 110 calories!
• Top your whole grain bagel with 1.5 oz of fat-free cream cheese in lieu of regular. Save 108 calories!
• Try 1 oz. of maple turkey bacon instead of maple (pork) bacon. Save 118 calories!
• Ditch the glazed donut and eat a bagel instead. Save 93 calories!
• Eat 3/4 cup oatmeal instead of a 1-1/2 cups of oatmeal. Save 97 calories!
• Substitute 3 oz. of turkey sausage for a serving of pork sausage. Save 120 calories!
• Grab a small bagel instead of a medium bagel. Save 99 calories!
Snacks and sides
• Dip 1-cup celery into your favorite salsa or hummus instead of 1 oz. of tortilla chips. Save 125 calories!
• Eat an entire medium apple instead of a small (5 oz.) candy apple. Save 118 calories!
• Snack on 1 oz. of baked potato chips instead of regular chips. Save 90 calories!
• Better yet, eat 2 oz. pretzels instead of the same size portion of potato chips. Save 94 calories!
• Bake 2 oz of oven fries in lieu of 2 oz. of fast food fries. Save 88 calories!
• Forgo a 6-oz portion of potato chips and nosh on 6 oz. of tortilla chips instead. Save 96 calories!
• Say no to 1 oz of deep-fried onion rings and instead enjoy 1 oz. of grilled onions with your meal. Save 92 calories!
• Try 1.5 oz. of fresh grapes instead of 1.5 oz. of raisins. Save 98 calories!
• Enjoy a healthy 8-oz. baked potato instead of 8 oz. of French fries. Save 104 calories!
• Choose 3 oz. of mozzarella cheese for your sandwich instead of Swiss cheese. Save 108 calories!
• Swap 1 cup of canned pineapple in heavy syrup for crushed pineapple in water. Save 119 calories!
Lunch and dinner
• Cut a 6 oz. steak in half and take the other portion home for another meal. Save 111 calories!
• Order a skinless chicken breast instead of chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
• Substitute a fat-free beef hot dog for a regular beef hot dog. Save 104 calories!
• Build a sandwich with1.5 oz. of deli turkey breast instead of an 5. Instead of 6 oz. of crispy fried chicken with skin, eat 6 oz. baked chicken with skin. Save 102 calories!
• Choose a slice of thin crust pizza over thick crust pizza. Save 106 calories!
• Add vegetable toppings to your pizza order and say no to pepperoni. Save 100 calories!
• Forget broccoli cheddar soup. A 7-oz portion of vegetable soup is better. Save 119 calories!
• Enjoy 12 oz. of steamed rice (choose brown rice when possible) as an alternative to fried rice. Save 96 calories!
• Unwrap your 13-inch tortilla wrap and make a sandwich on a 3-oz. whole grain bagel instead. Save 96 calories!
• Eat only half of your hamburger or sandwich bun. Save 100 calories!
Condiments and sauces
• Dip your salad in a side of ranch dressing (2 tsp.) instead of pouring 2 Tbsps. of dressing on the salad. Save 97 calories!
• Skip the 5 oz. of Alfredo sauce and eat a whopping 7 oz. of marinara sauce. Save 129 calories!
• Add flavor to vegetables with 3 oz. of hot sauce—not 1 oz. of bleu cheese dressing. Save 117 calories!
• Top your salad with 1.5 oz. reduced-fat Italian dressing instead of regular. Save 96 calories!
• Try either cheese or croutons on your salad—not both Save 72-116 calories!
• Instead of 3 oz. of regular sour cream, use a fat-free variety. Save 120 calories!
• Use 2 Tbsps. reduced-fat light mayonnaises instead of regular mayonnaise. Save 102 calories!
Sweets and desserts
• Serve ice cream in a dish instead of a waffle cone. Save 121 calories!
• Try a healthier peanut granola bar instead of a peanut candy bar. Save 94 calories!
• Finish dinner with 1 cup of low-fat frozen yogurt instead of regular ice cream. Save 121 calories!
• Substitute 5 oz. of apple pie, with 5 oz. of baked apple crisp. Save 85 calories!
• Instead of 4 oz. of regular chocolate pudding, enjoy a sugar-free portion. Save 92 calories!
• Leave that 1/2-cup of strawberry ice cream in the freezer. Enjoy 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries topped with 2 Tbsps. of fat-free whipped cream as an alternative. Save 102 calories!
Cutting calories here and there is an easy way to form healthier eating habits without feeling deprived or hungry. With just a few of these tricks up your sleeve, you’ll be on your way to reaching your goals in no time!
Number of pounds you might lose when you eliminate soda
• If you replace your daily Double Gulp with water, you reduce your annual calorie intake by 209,875 calories or almost 60 pounds in a year.
• If you replace your daily Super Big Gulp with water, you reduce your annual calorie intake by 167,900 calories or almost 48 pounds per year.
• If you replace your daily Big Gulp with water, you reduce your annual calorie intake by 125,925 calories or 36 pounds per year.
• If you replace your daily Gulp with water, you reduce your annual calorie intake by 83,950 or calories or 24 pounds per year.
• If you replace your daily large Coca Cola at McDonald’s, you reduce your annual calorie intake by 113,150 or calories or 32 pounds per year.
• If you replace your daily medium Coca Cola at McDonalds (16 oz), you reduce your annual calorie intake by 54,750 calories or just over 15 pounds per year.
• If you replace your daily 12-ounce can of Coke with water every day, you save 51,100 calories per year or about 15 pounds per year.
Reviewed and compiled from various sources