Two people charged following deadly siege in Sydney

Sydney, March 8 (IANS) Police have charged a man and a woman following a six-hour siege in Sydney’s industrial site, which resulted in the death of two men.

The incident came to an end when the gunman died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, after police swarmed a signage business at an industrial estate on Monday, Xinhua reported.

The gunman, named by some media outlets as 33-year-old Wayne Williams, had links to an outlaw motorcycle gang.

The police said a 52-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman had been charged overnight.

Three hostages were released from the building shortly after 5 p.m. (local time) on Monday and attended to by ambulance paramedics.

Emergency services were called to the scene at 10.45 a.m. (local time) when three people were shot, one fatally.

“The deceased is 43 years old. Two men with gunshot wounds have been conveyed to Liverpool Hospital,” said acting New South Wales (NSW) Police Commander Mark Brett on Monday.

Five gunshots were heard in the area according to nearby businesses.

“Police told us not to go near windows,” a employee said.

Australians are still on alert following a lone gunman who took 17 hostages at a cafe in Sydney in December 2014.

Two hostages were killed along with the gunman during the 16-hour siege.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply