UN chief calls for restraint after Iran’s missile tests

United Nations, March 11 (IANS) United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday urged all concerned to act with restraint after Iran test-fired two ballistic missiles on Wednesday.

In Ban’s statement, he recalled the previous Security Council resolution in which the council “called upon Iran not to undertake any activity related to ballistic missiles designed to be capable of delivering nuclear weapons, including launches using such ballistic missile technology”.

The secretary general also noted that it is for the Security Council to examine information regarding the resolution, Xinhua reported.

Moreover, Ban urged all concerned to act with restraint. “In the current political atmosphere in the Middle East region, and so soon after the positive news of the lifting of sanctions against Iran,” Ban called on the government of Iran to “act with moderation, caution and the good sense not to increase tensions through any hasty actions,” said the statement.

With the achievement of Implementation Day pursuant to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action and Security Council resolution 2231 (2015), the Security Council sanctions previously imposed on Iran have been terminated.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari said the missiles were conventional armaments for “legitimate defence” and not designed for carrying nuclear warheads, the state-controlled IRNA news agency reported.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply