New York, Sept.24 (ANI): Ministry of External Affairs(MEA) spokesperson Vikas Swarup on Thursday said that unconfirmed reports have revealed that three Indians have died in the stampede during a Haj pilgrimage in Mina, which has so far left over 700 people dead and over 800 injured.
“An unconfirmed report says that there are three casualty of Indians, which we have come to know after the phone call from the relatives,” Swarup said at a media briefing here.
“Bodies are generally sent to mortuary and after that Saudi authorities put photos for identification. Then, we can go with the relatives to claim the body. Thats why, I cannot confirm on the number of casualties now,” he added.
“Our consulate general is present at ground zero. According to them, Indians don’t generally live where the stampede took place. That’s why we do not expect much casualty and even pray that there is no casualty,” Swarup said.
At least 700 have been killed and over 800 others have been injured in the stampede which occurred during the devil-stoning ritual where pilgrims throw pebbles at three walls in Mina(near Mecca).
Meanwhile , Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday expressed grief over the loss of lives in the stampede.
“Distressing news from Mecca. Pained at loss of lives due to stampede. Condolences to families of the deceased & prayers with the injured,” Prime Minister Modi had tweeted.(ANI)