It was only a matter of time before diners injured on that fateful evening in Bombay Bhel decided to sue the owner of the restaurant. This week six victims of a bomb blast announced they were suing for damages totalling $6 million, alleging the establishment failed to provide proper security amid a “turf war between rival business associates.”
This is astonishing since the police have yet to reveal any details regarding who could be behind such a heinous act.
Diamond & Diamond the injury law firm is involved in this civil suit.
“The owners of the Bombay Bhel restaurant knew or ought to have known there was an issue with security and that they were targeted,” lawyer Darryl Singer told reporters at a news conference.
Court documents filed with the Ontario Superior Court of Justice on Monday lay out the suit on behalf of Sonia Sheth, Porshia Mehta, Surjit Luthra, Parmeshvar Luthra, Arjun Luthra and Neelamjit Luthra.
Each is seeking $1 million in damages from Bombay Bhel and the corporation that owns it for the “severe and permanent injuries” they suffered, the statement of claim reads. None of these allegations have been proven in court.
Peel Regional Police alleged two disguised suspects entered Bombay Bhel on the evening of May 24, planted an improvised explosive device that contained nails, then fled. Moments later, the device detonated.
The blast wounded 15 people, three of whom suffered “critical blast injuries,” according to paramedics. All have since been released from hospital.
The six victims, named in the civil lawsuit, suffered ‘severe and permanent injuries’ that has prevented them from returning to work, court documents said. Groups of families and friends were celebrating birthdays at the restaurant, nestled in a small plaza near the intersection of Hurontario Street and Eglinton Avenue East.
About 40 people were inside the restaurant at the time, many of whom were children under 10. Witnesses described a chaotic scene of broken glass and bloodied diners.
One of the victims alleged that the bombing could have been prevented by the owners and that they could have employed security.
According to the lawsuit, the victims allege they were “carnage in a turf war between individuals we did not even know.”
The lawyers further pointed out that the rivalry and threats were “common knowledge” in the community. Sandra Zisckind explained her firm obtained this information from several sources they spoke to who had reached out to the victims.
“Usually things don’t start with a bombing,” said Zisckind. “Usually things start with threats or with juxtapositions and people are starting to flex their muscles.”
Bombay Bhel needed to have more security guards and surveillance cameras on site, or closed for a period of time, she added.
Peel Police Chief Jennifer Evans has previously said there is no indication the bombing was a terrorist act or hate crime. Investigators have not released a motive nearly three months after the bombing and no group has taken responsibility for it.
The statement of claim says Bombay Bhel’s entrance doors weren’t locked at 10:30 p.m., when they were supposed to be. Two minutes later, the bomb detonated, the document says.
It is surprising that it has been the lawyers that have investigated the probable cause of the restaurant bombing which they have said was possible business rivalry and not the police. Investigations are ongoing and police have so far neither confirmed nor denied the theory that has been floated by the lawyers representing their clients in their lawsuit against Bombay Bhel owners. – CINEWS