Melbourne, Feb 11 (ANI): According to a recent study, there are only 11 weight-loss apps that are worth bothering with.
Experts from the University of Sydney’s Charles Perkins Centre have ranked the best apps for weight loss on the basis of their accuracy and scientific basis, News.com.au reported.
After examining 800 apps for the study, researchers selected 28 apps that were weight management-specific and allowed for logging food intake.
Lead author Juliana Chen said that although they’re clearly not perfect for managing weight loss, apps are becoming increasingly popular for both consumers and clinicians.
If you’re looking for a weight loss app, Chen suggests, “Make sure the app comes from a credible source, and that health professionals have been involved in developing it. We found that a large number of weight loss apps are developed by people with little scientific understanding of what would support weight loss.”
She added “Choose an app which includes techniques for changing behavior- these were generally the apps which rated the best in our evaluation. Apps that include more motivational components, such as points, levels, feedback, rewards and challenges, are more likely to lead to changes in behaviour.”
Chen noted “Check to see if the information provided in the app matches up with reliable sources on healthy eating, such as the Australian Dietary Guidelines. Lastly, choose an app that’s easy to use and easy to log your food. This includes using an app with an Australian database of foods.”
The top apps are:
1. Noom Weight Loss Coach by Noom Inc
2. Calorie Counter PRO by MyNetDiary Inc
2. ControlMyWeight by CalorieKing Wellness Solutions
4. Food Diary and Calorie Tracker by MyNetDiary Inc
5. Easy Diet Diary by Xyris Software
6. Calorie Counter by SparkPeople
7. Jillian Michaels Slim-Down: Weight Loss, Diet & Exercise Solution
8. MyPlate Calorie Tracker LITE by Demand Media Inc
9. Calorie Counter by MyFitnessPal Inc
9. Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker by Calorie Count
9. My Diet Coach Pro by InspiredApps (A.L) Ltd. (ANI)