St. John’s (Antigua), April 22 (IANS) The beleaguered West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) has once again pushed back on growing calls for its dissolution, claiming it had “lived up to its promises” and urging the region to “trust the process”.
Referring to unnamed “small groups” which were “clamouring for the board’s dissolution”, the WICB on Thursday sought to defend its stewardship, repeating the argument it had already implemented 90 per cent of all recommendations from the various commissioned governance reports, reports CMC.
The fact it had opted not to restructure along the lines suggested by the Patterson Report was not enough reason to justify dissolution, the Dave Cameron-led WICB contended in a statement.
The board pointed to the Under-19 team and the senior men’s and men’s Twenty20 World Cup sides and said their recent success was proof of the board’s efficiency.
The WICB said instead of agitating for the board’s dissolution, these “small groups” needed to examine the role of government in the regional developmental agenda for cricket.
“In under 100 days since the start of 2016, three teams from the West Indies in two formats won three world titles,” the WICB said.
“That accomplishment has come as part of the high performance programme implemented just over two years ago. That there are small groups clamouring for the board’s dissolution is reason to ask what more could a region want?”
“The acceptance of an average of 90 per cent of all the commissioned reports received have been implemented, adding another layer of bureaucracy cannot justify calling for the board to be dissolved,” the WICB added.
“Instead, the small groups should consider among other things promises made by governments to contribute to the growth of cricket by hosting matches/international series, continuing to facilitate development which aids in the growth of sport, creating a more enabling environment for movement around the region, revitalising cricket in the schools across the region (and) assisting in the setting up of territorial academies.”
The board statement comes one day after several West Indies legends, including Garry Sobers, Wes Hall, Vivian Richards and Andy Roberts, issued a joint statement backing a panel recommendation for the dissolution of the WICB, and also calling for the immediate resignation of the board of directors.
Outstanding former players Deryck Murray, Charlie Griffith and Desmond Haynes were also among the group which met in Grenada last week to discuss the matter. The legends also met with Grenada’s Prime Minister Keith Mitchell who has been at forefront of the push for the WICB to be restructured.
The meeting was also attended by current men’s T20 captain, Darren Sammy, who criticised the board following the final of the T20 World Cup in India earlier this month.