Special offers for Surface, Xbox One, ASUS, Dell, HP and Samsung
Microsoft Corp. on Wednesday – June 29 – announced that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is coming to all Windows 10 devices — for free — on Aug. 2. Windows 10 continues to be the fastest-growing version of Windows ever and is now running on more than 350 million devices.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update has all-new breakthrough features that bring Windows Ink and Cortana to the mainstream; a faster, more accessible and more power-efficient Microsoft Edge browser; advanced security features for consumers and enterprises; new gaming experiences; and new tools for the modern classroom. To help protect businesses from today’s modern threats, Microsoft also announced two new security features for enterprise customers: Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Information Protection, formerly referred to as enterprise data protection.
“When we introduced Windows 10, our vision was not only to deliver the best and most secure version of the OS ever, it was also to create an experience that would keep getting better,” said Terry Myerson, executive vice president, Windows and Devices Group. “The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is a great example of this — and we look forward to building on it even further in the future.”
New deals, plus security, productivity and fun features for consumers
To celebrate the availability of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Microsoft is making it easy for everyone to enjoy the great new features with special offers. Students can save $300 when they purchase an Xbox One and Surface3 or get a free TV when they purchase a Dell PC over $699.4 Plus, consumers can get $150 off select HP5 devices or $100 off select ASUS6 and Samsung devices.
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is full of innovations that help people be more productive, stay safer online — and, of course, have fun too.
- More security features for the most secure Windows. For all Windows 10 customers, the Anniversary Update brings new improvements to Windows Hello and Windows Defender.
- With Windows Hello, customers can sign in with enterprise-grade security, password-free, to apps, and access supporting websites with biometric authentication using Microsoft Edge, the first and only browser to natively support biometrics.7
- Windows Defender anti-malware improves with the option to automatically schedule periodic quick scans of a PC, and provide notifications and summaries when scans are complete and if scans find any threats.
Building on the existing security features in Windows 10 are these two new security benefits for enterprise customers:
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection is designed to detect, investigate and respond to malicious attacks and is informed by the world’s largest array of sensors and expert advanced threat protection, including a team of expert security researchers at Microsoft.
- Windows Information Protection, formerly referred to as enterprise data protection, helps protect businesses from accidental data leaks by separating personal and organizational data, protecting corporate data wherever it goes.
- Windows Ink. An all-new experience that puts the power of Windows in the tip of a digital pen enables people to write on a device as they would on paper. Integration with Office and other applications such as Microsoft Edge and Maps bring the power of inking everywhere.
- Improvements to Cortana. The world’s most productive personal digital assistant gets even better with access above the lock screen, more ways to remember with the ability for Cortana to save and recall information, and synchronization across devices.2
- Increased power efficiency, extensions and accessibility with Microsoft Edge. The Anniversary Update includes even more power-saving improvements in Microsoft Edge, using fewer CPU cycles, consuming less memory, and minimizing the impact of background activity and peripheral content such as Flash advertisements. Microsoft Edge extensions, such as Pinterest’s Pin it Button and Amazon Assistant, will also be available in the Windows Store. The new accessibility architecture for Microsoft Edge also now supports modern web standards, including HTML5, CSS3 and ARIA. With this update, page structure and content are exposed more clearly with assistive technology. Visual presentation of web pages in high-contrast mode provides additional visual context, while preserving text contrast. Also, form entry when using keyboard navigation and screen readers improves the browsing experience for people of all abilities.
- An even better gaming experience. With Xbox Play Anywhere, gamers can buy a game once and play on a Windows 10 PC or Xbox One with shared progress, shared game saves and shared achievements. Every new title published from Microsoft Studios will support Xbox Play Anywhere and will be easily accessible in the Windows Store on both Windows 10 and Xbox One. Cortana is also now available on Xbox One to help gamers find great new games, see what friends are up to, start a party, accomplish common tasks, and turn on Xbox One by saying, “Hey, Cortana, Xbox On”8. Top fan-requested features including Language Region Independence so gamers can choose any supported language on Xbox One, regardless of their location, and support for background music will come with the Anniversary Update. As well, the new Xbox One S, available this summer starting at $299, will include the Anniversary Update. With a limited 2TB Xbox One S launch edition available in August for $399, it is the only console with support for HDR gaming and 4K Ultra HD video and Blu-ray.
- Innovations for the modern classroom join great devices starting at $179. An all-new Set up School PCs app will enable teachers to set up devices in three easy steps with a Shared Cart of Devices. For schools with dedicated IT support, the updated Windows Imaging and Configuration Designer tool enables the setup of shared devices, in bulk, in a matter of minutes. For high-stakes tests that should not have copy-and-paste privileges, access to files or other distractions, the Take a Test app creates a browser-based, locked-down environment for more secure online assessments.
One of the best ways to get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is to upgrade to Windows 10 before the free upgrade offer ends July 29, 2016. More information can be found athttps://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-10-upgrade. – PRNewswire