New Delhi, March 22 (IANS) An anti-CAA protester in Shaheen Bagh has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), sending health authorities on yet another hot chase for the infected person, and all those who have been holding the sit-in protest here, since December 15.
The development comes amid surging cases of COVID-19 in the country, with the toll breaching 300-mark earlier on Saturday. While the authorities have been issuing advisories in a bid to encourage social-distancing to contain the spread of the virus, the protestors at Shaheen Bagh have so far refused to vacate the site.
Seniro health officials said that the protester contracted coronavirus from his sister who had tested positive for the infection post her return from Saudi Arabia earlier this month.
Speaking to IANS, the protestor said : “My sister, who lives in Dilshad Graden, has returned from Saudi Arabia earlier this month, after which we visited her house on March 10.”
The protester and his mother were later admitted to the isolation ward at Lok Nayak Jaiprakash Narain Hospital, where both of them were found to be positive for the infection.
However, the man claimed that he participated at the Shaheen Bagh protest on February 9, whereas his sister returned from Saudi Arabia in March.
The health officials are now conducting checkups at the factory where the patient was working. Besides, details of all those who have come in contact with him after March 10 have also been collected.