Damascus, March 12 (IANS) A day after a gory double-bombing in central Damascus, the toll in the attack that targeted Shia pilgrims rose to 74 on Sunday, a British war monitor said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that at least 54 victims of Saturday’s attack were Syrian civilians and Iraqi pilgrims, in addition to 20 Syrian government troops.
So far, none had claimed responsibility for the twin-explosion attack that occurred in the historic centre of Bab-al-Saghir cemetery area here, Efe news reported.
One bomb exploded near the entrance to the cemetery on the parking lot side where nine buses were parked.
Shortly thereafter, a suicide bomber detonated an explosive belt he was wearing on the grounds of the cemetery.
The NGO said the number of fatalities could increase because many of the wounded were in critical condition.