Ex-Aussie coach Langer in talks with BBL side Hobart Hurricanes: Report

4

Former Australian cricket coach Justin Langer is reportedly in talks with Big Bash League (BBL) side Hobart Hurricanes over their head coaching vacancy, after the 51-year-old quit his national team job following dispute over the terms of his contract renewal.

A report in News Corp said on Tuesday that the former Australian opener had held “promising” informal talks with the BBL side.

Langer had previously guided another BBL side, Perth Scorchers, to three titles before adding the ICC T20 World Cup with the Australian team to his impressive resume. The report said that Cricket Tasmania were looking for a replacement for Adam Griffith and view Langer as the ideal candidate.

Langer stepped down as head coach of Australia last month after guiding the team to a 4-0 Ashes win at home as he was not happy with a six-month contract extension offered by Cricket Australia (CA).

Langer’s deputy, Andrew McDonald was appointed as Australia’s interim coach for the historic away Test series against Pakistan.

According to reports, Langer’s position as Australia coach had become shaky in August last year after players and support staff had made their dislike known of his “volatile micromanagement style”.

However, Australian Test skipper Pat Cummins had issued a statement clarifying his stand on Langer, saying the 51-year-old ex-opener’s “intensity was not the issue for the players and the support staff”, but the cricketers wanted “a new style of coaching and skill set” going forward.

20220329-120205

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here