Families of 2 killed in Srinagar gunfight dispute police version


The families of two persons, who were killed during a gunfight between the terrorists and the security forces in Sringar’s Hyderpora, have disputed the police version.

The gunfight took place on Monday in a house in which four persons including a foreign terrorist, a local militant and two persons were killed. The police had said that the two of the four were overground workers.

The family of Mudassir Gul, killed in the encounter, protested at the press colony in Srinagar on Tuesday, claiming that he was a doctor and had no involvement in militancy.

“He spoke to his wife last evening. He has two small children and old parents. He was not holding a gun in his hand, he was innocent. He was Dr Mudassir, he is not a terrorist, please give us the dead body back,” said one of the protesting relatives.

The family of the house owner, Altaf Ahmad, alleged that he was used as a human shield by the security forces.

“My cousin, who was an eyewitness said he was taken upstairs three times, he was spared on two occasions and killed on the third occasion,” daughter of Altaf Ahmad said.

Police said four persons were killed in the encounter at Hyderpora in Srinagar on Monday, including a foreign militant identified as Haider and his accomplice.

Inspector General Police Vijay Kumar said in a press conference that an overground worker of the militants and the house owner were also killed during the encounter. He said that the house owner was killed in a crossfire while Gul, living on rent in the building, had provided shelter to Haider and his associate.

Meanwhile, People’s Conference Chief Sajad Lone has demanded a transparent description of the encounter details.

“In the midst of conflicting claims in the Hyderpora encounter the least we deserve is a transparent description of what happened by a neutral institution. This is neither the first time nor the last time. @manojsinha_ U have the opportunity to assert that human lives matter.”–IANS