Bhubaneswar, Aug 3 (IANS) Five persons, including four of a family and their domestic help, died of asphyxiation after fire broke out in a three-storey residential building in Bhubaneswar on Thursday.
The incident occurred at the house of Satpal Singh, a hotel owner, in Buddheswari colony. He is the only one to have survived.
The deceased have been identified as Satpal Singh’s younger son Gaganpal (40), daugher-in-law Bhavana (38), granddaughter Suhabi (15), grandson Rubi (8) and their domestic help Khusi Das (15).
Satpal Singh was admitted to a hospital where his condition is said to be stable.
Though the exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained, it is suspected that an electric short circuit could have triggered the fire, said R.C. Majhi, Deputy Fire Officer.
As per preliminary investigation, the spark originated from an air conditioner caused the fire which soon spread to the different rooms of second floor. False ceilings and wooden planks aggravated the fire, reports said.