Monday, July 22, 2024

Fire in Chandigarh PGI’s Nehru Hospital, 424 patients evacuated

A fire broke out in Chandigarh PGI’s Nehru Hospital and 424 patients were evacuated, officials said on Tuesday, adding that the patients requiring ventilators were moved to safer areas and there was no causality.

The fire incident occurred in the computer room of C-block of Nehru Hospital of the PGI around 11.45 p.m. on Monday, the hospital said in a statement.

The primary reason for the fire was believed to be a short circuit in the computer room.

“The C-block has a dialysis unit, adult kidney unit, renal transplant unit, women medical ward, men medical ward, etc., and operation theatres which function 24×7 throughout the year,” said the PGIMER.

As soon as the incident occurred, the staff got into action and all patients from these areas were rescued and shifted to safer places.

The evacuated patients included 80 pregnant women and 56 babies.

PGI Director Vivek Lal along with senior faculty members besides fire and engineering wings reached the spot to provide the needed care and support required for patient care, it added.

20231010143993

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular