Israel refuses to responsibility for bombing in Syria

Views: 17

Cairo, Sep 8 (IANS) The Israeli army declined to confirm responsibility for a missile attack on a Syrian military facility that killed two people, after Syrian military sources attributed the assault to Israeli aircraft.

An Israeli military spokeswoman on Thursday refused to comment on the attack, and neither confirmed nor denied a connection to the bombing that took place near Massyaf, southwest of the central Syrian province of Hama, Efe news reported.

The official Syrian news agency SANA had said that Israeli aircraft launched missiles from Lebanese airspace that targeted a Syrian military facility and killed two people, according to a statement from the Syrian General Command of the Army earlier on Thursday.

In addition to the killing of two army personnel, the attack also caused material damage to the military facility, the source said.

The Army warned in a statement of the dangerous consequences of violent acts on the security and stability of the region.

It said that this act emphasized Israel’s direct support to the Islamic State terror group.

The event came after weeks of an intense Israeli campaign against what it considers an increase of the Iranian influence and presence in the south of Syria, as well as Lebanon, and the denunciations of the supposed manufacture of advanced missiles with the help of Tehran.

Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, who was visiting the region, that Iran was building precision-guided missile production centres in the two Arab countries, and warned that Israel would not just let this happen.

Israel bombed Syrian positions in late June and early July in response to Syrian missiles that hit the northern Golan Heights, which have been occupied by Israel since 1967.

–IANS

vgu/

Comments: 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *