Thiruvananthapuram, April 15 (IANS) The Kerala Travel Mart (KTM), premier tourism body in the state, here on Wednesday, denied reports that tourism activity in the state had been banned till October-November due to Covid-19.
The Kerala government had issued no such instruction, KTM chief Baby Mathew said.
“Certain quarters are spreading this by misinterpreting Finance Minister Thomas Isaac’s suggestion that efforts to revive tourism should start now. Issac also said the experience of the foreign tourists, who recovered from Covid-19 through effective treatment and care in Kerala, will boost tourism,” said Mathew.
The industry believes the situation will become normal by the end of the second phase of the lockdown. “The state is making preparations to receive tourists once the country becomes Covid-19 free. The Kerala Tourism is drawing up plans to attract domestic tourists in a big way,” Mathew said.
In 2019, Kerala attracted 1.96 crore tourists (domestic and foreign), which was 17.2 per cent growth over 2018.