Kuala Lumpur, Jan 7 (IANS) Malaysian badminton legend Lee Chong Wei took to the badminton court on Monday for the first time after a six-month lay-off.
Lee, who was diagnosed with early stage nose cancer in July last year, said he would focus on recovering his muscle mass which had been lost after months of not being able to train, reports Xinhua news agency.
“I am taking it easy with training,” he said adding: “Today is the first day and so far everything is fine. It is light training and the doctor advised me to train at 30 percent instead of 100 percent.”
Lee added that the court “felt bigger” after his absence of nearly half a year, but expressed confidence that he would quickly get up to speed. “Today is the first day and I feel spirited. It is important to build confidence,” he said.
The 36-year-old former world no. 1 said his illness had not diminished his skills and that he would be able to perform after recovering physically.
“I want to train more but I want to avoid any injuries. I’ve lost muscle after not training for months. I want to build my muscles and build my strength first,” he said.