Low-intensity blast at Delhi court, 1 injured (2nd Ld)


A low-intensity blast took place on Thursday in the room of a court in the national capital while a hearing was underway, injuring one person, officials said.

No death, however, was reported. This is the second major incident at Rohini court complex in the past three months.

Earlier on September 24, in an incident that seemed ripped from a Bollywood potboiler, top Delhi gangster Jitender Singh Mann, alias Gogi, was shot dead in a courtroom by two assailants dressed in lawyers’ garb.

A senior Delhi Police officer said the source of explosion was traced to a laptop bag kept in courtroom number 102 of Rohini court complex. The blast happened at around 10.30 a.m. on Thursday morning.

“The spot was completely cordoned off then and the litigants were asked to vacate the premises,” he said adding that the explosion occurred when a hearing was underway.

According to a Delhi Fire Services Department official, a call was received at 10.40 a.m. regarding a ‘mysterious’ explosion at the Rohini Court after which the Fire Department rushed at least 7 fire tenders to the spot.

“The blast was of low intensity and the injured person was rushed to a nearby hospital even before the fire tenders reached the spot,” the official said.

The injured has been identified as Head Constable Rajeev, Naib Court.

Lawyers present at the spot told IANS that Rajeev was seated on a chair at the time of the incident and the bag, which exploded, was right under his chair.

“He sustained minor injuries and is receiving treatment at a hospital. His condition is stable,” an official said.

Another lawyer told IANS that all proceedings were stopped after the blast.

Amid chaotic scenes, the Delhi Police personnel secured the area. Deputy Commissioner of Police (Rohini) Pranav Tayal also reached the spot to assess the situation.

Apart from the heavy police presence inside the Court premises, the National Security Guard personnel were also deployed to examine and inspect the area.

“The investigation is still going on and the forensic teams have collected the debris from the spot and taken them for examination,” a police officer said.

He further informed that the anti-terror unit of Delhi Police — Special Cell — will now investigate Thursday’s incident.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here