The Brampton Citizens Awards recognize residents who have made a meaningful contribution or have had a significant achievement. The City is now accepting nominations for the 2020 calendar year. People are being encouraged to nominate outstanding athletes, volunteers and local heroes before February 16, 2021.
“The Brampton Citizens Awards are an important opportunity to recognize outstanding Bramptonians,” said Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown. “These awards instill pride, encourage everyone to contribute to our community, and acknowledge our citizens for their meaningful contributions. Nominate a resident today!”
Individuals may be nominated in one of the following categories:
- The Sports Achievement Award recognizes Brampton residents whose achievements have been recognized at the Provincial, National or International level.
- The Ken Giles Amateur Athlete of the Year Award is presented to an outstanding individual who has made a significant impact and/or exceptional achievement at the amateur level of their respective sport.
- The Arts Acclaim Award recognizes individuals whose contributions have had a significant impact in terms of achieving local, Provincial, National or International acclaim.
- The Long Term Service Award recognizes dedicated volunteers whose efforts have made a significant impact towards the development and advancement of recreational sports, the arts and community social services.
- The Inspirational Award recognizes Brampton residents who advocate or practice humane action, or who have had an inspirational influence on others.
- The Emergency Services Award of Valour recognizes individuals who voluntarily risked their own lives while performing a heroic act to save someone else’s life.
The Citizens of the Year Awards recognizes Brampton volunteers of all ages who demonstrated passionate, dedicated community involvement in 2020. A Selection Committee comprised of community members with subject matter expertise in award categories, along with elected officials, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services, the Brampton Sports Alliance, the Brampton Seniors Council and Peel Regional Police, is appointed to review all nominations.
Due to COVID-19, the City of Brampton was not able to host an in-person event to acknowledge the 2019 Brampton Citizens Awards recipients. Those who received an award in 2019 will be recognized in conjunction with the 2020 recipients this year.
Learn more at www.brampton.ca.