While millions may groan at having to deal with the effects of the carbon tax, many Ontarians have reason to cheer the abolishing of the Drive Clean Test.
“Our government is standing up for the people by making life easier, not harder for Ontario drivers,” said Premier Doug Ford. “We’re focused on keeping money in people’s pockets, not taking it away. We ended the Drive Clean program for passenger vehicles to save Ontario drivers time and money.”
Ford joined Rod Phillips, Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, Jeff Yurek, Minister of Transportation, and Monte McNaughton, Minister of Infrastructure, to announce the end of the Drive Clean program on April 1.
The Drive Clean program was first introduced in 1999. The province says that since industry standards have significantly improved since then, resulting in a steady decrease of passenger cars that fail the emissions test.
Under this program, heavy-duty diesel vehicles with a registered gross weight over 4,500 kilograms, such as large trucks and buses, that are seven years and older required an annual emissions test for registration renewal purposes. Owners of such vehicles received a registration renewal notice either online or in the mail which indicated if your vehicle needs an emissions test.
In 2017, the fail rate was reduced to five per cent. -CINEWS